Enjoy this free online version of Mahjong, brought to you by the mahjong experts! To play, turn and tap the mahjong tiles, clicking on matching pairs of unblocked tiles to clear them. Play now for free!
Free Online Mahjong Overview
Mahjong is a traditional game established in China about 100 years ago. Classic mahjong was played with 144 mahjong tiles and four players. It is a social game that allows friends and family to get together and have fun. The online mahjong rules are simple — match identical mahjong tiles that are not covered, and free from sides. Any special tiles such as flower tiles and season tiles can be matched. You can learn more about scoring and how to play mahjong by clicking the question mark in the upper-right corner of the mahjong games. You will want to challenge yourself by matching the tiles quickly because the game is timed. Best of all: You can play mahjong online — no download needed!
Interesting Facts about Mahjong Games
- We have simple tiles (dots, bamboo, characters), honors tiles (winds, dragons) and bonus tiles (seasons, flowers) in our free mahjong games.
- Mahjong, in chinese, means sparrow. The clacking of mahjong tiles during shuffling resembles the chattering of sparrows.
- Mahjong games are played in chinese restaurants during lunch, dinner and even at weddings.
- Mahjong, mah-jong, majong or mahjongg? They are all correct, depending on how you translate it from Chinese.
- The British Mahjong Federation published a set of mahjong rules that are closer to the classic Chinese game than the Japansese or American variations.
Mahjong is not just a social game now — you can play the online version of mahjong 24/7 all by yourself. Enjoy!